Tenant Screening Requirements:
Thank you for your interest in this home! In addition to this rental application, you will also be required to provide a copy of a valid form of identification and proof of income. Please be prepared to pay the application fee as outlined in the property listing.
Every person 18 years of age and older must submit an application for credit, criminal, landlord, and eviction background check. Credit scores must be above 650 to be considered. Combined income of residents must exceed 2.5x rent or have a cosigner. The application fee is $40 per person.
Below are the tenant screening criteria that will be used to qualify a tenant for tenancy. Applicant also must be able to meet any property policies i.e. pets, no smoking, renter’s insurance as outlined by leasing agent to qualify for tenancy. Each resident over the age of 18 must submit a separate rental application. Mott Holdings does not accept a comprehensive reusable tenant screening report.
We screen applicants on a first come first serve basis. However, we reserve the right to disqualify an applicant that cannot immediately take possession of the property when it is available and ready. We do not hold a vacant unit for tenant move in. If we don’t run a consumer report on an applicant, we refund the tenant screening fee or any other fees collected in securing the property.
Please read the “Terms of the Application Agreement”. The security deposit is required as part of the tenant screening process for Owner to hold the property, remove it from the market, cancel advertising and cease showings to other prospective tenants.
Tenancy Approved – when applicant meets or exceed thresholds in all areas.
1. Total combined monthly gross income of all rental applicants in a given rental unit must be at least 2.5 times the monthly rental rate.
2. Only income that can be verified counts.
3. Applicants must have the same source of income for a minimum of six (6) months or be able to provide recruitment letter if new to the area.
4. Valid source must be provided to verify income. (Please attach confirmation of source of income to the application. If you are providing check stubs please provide the past 3 pay periods.)
- Applicant is able to demonstrate fiscal responsibility.
- Applicant has no delinquent payment or past pattern of delinquency.
- Applicant’s debt/income ratio is no more than 50%.
- Credit score must be 650 or above.
- Our tenant screening investigation includes a criminal background screening including the sex offender registry. However, for properties located within the City of Seattle we will only consider prior convictions reportable under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and rules of Washington, limited to those appearing on a local, state, or national sex offender registry. Consideration will be given to the following factors relating to the conviction(s) that requires registry on a local, state, or national sex offender registry: The nature and severity of the conviction; The number and types of convictions; The time that has elapsed since the date of conviction; Age of the individual at the time of convictions; Evidence of good tenant history before and/or after the conviction occurred; and Any supplemental information related to the individual’s rehabilitation, good conduct, and additional facts or explanations provided by the individual.
- No prior unlawful detainers or evictions appear on applicant’s record.
- Previous references from other housing providers.
- Pattern of meeting their rental obligations, leaving prior rental properties in good condition and not having a pattern of complaints from neighbors.
- Applicant was respectful of leasing agent, property and neighbors (including showing up on time for tour).
- Each applicant was met and identification verified (Please attach to application).
- Applicant is able to pay screening fee for each application and all monies required for tenancy.
- Able to move in as soon as property is available.
- Pay security deposit to hold the property, remove it from the market, cancel advertising and cease showings to other prospective tenants. Once application has been submitted the applicant will be sent a link for
payment. Terms regarding the payment are listed in the “Terms of Application Agreement.”
- All potential residents over the age of 18 must submit an application for the set to be considered.
- Applicants must be prepared to sign the lease and/or holding deposit form immediately after an application is accepted. If applicant does not sign necessary documents and pay related fees and deposits within 24 hours of submitting an application, Owner may offer tenancy to another applicant.
Roommates are welcomed to apply if the total income of all applicants combined is sufficient. Each roommate is expected to fill out an application and pay a tenant screening report fee. This needs to happen for any roommate that may in the future live at the premise as well.
The following is agreed to when an application is submitted:
- Application Fee (nonrefundable). You have paid a tenant screening fee in the amount indicated and this payment defrays the cost of the consumer report and any administrative work done to process this application. Once this fee is paid it is nonrefundable. However, if we do not run a consumer report on an applicant then we will refund your fee.
- By submitting an application applicant is hereby conditionally accepted as a tenant and will be required to submit a deposit for owner/agent to hold the property, remove it from the market, cancel advertising and cease showings to other prospective tenants. This deposit will be applied to the security deposit once tenancy begins.
This conditional acceptance is based on information provided by applicant on the application. Any information subsequently revealed which differs from that provided on the application or if tenant does not meet tenant screening
criteria listed will cause owner/agent to disqualify applicant and rescind the offer of a lease, refunding all of the deposit. Said rejections shall be at the owner’s sole discretion. Please ensure to review all of the tenant screening criteria before submitting an application.
Also, if the applicant fails to sign the lease within 24 hours of the approval of an application or otherwise by words or deeds indicates that he/she does not intent to occupy the premises, the full sum deposited shall be forfeited as liquidated damages. In that case, all applicant’s rights under this agreement shall cease and be terminated.
- An incomplete application causes delay in processing and may result in denial of tenancy. An Application will not be considered “completed” and will not be processed until all of the following have been provided: a separate Application has been fully filled out and signed by you and each co-applicant; an application fee has been paid; a deposit has been paid and the Lease has been signed, leasing agent has met in person all applicants over the age of 18 years of age and valid proof of identification was verified.
Any false, fraudulent or misleading information provided on the application may be grounds for denial of tenancy and/or forfeiture of rental or lease
- You must not assume approval until you receive actual notice of approval. All applicants must be approved for tenancy by being able to meet all tenant screening criteria and able to move into property when it is ready. We will notify you whether you’ve been approved within 5 days after the date we receive a completed Application. Your Application will be considered “disapproved” if we fail to notify you of your approval within 5 days after we have received a completed Application. Notification may be in person or by email, mail or telephone.
If you are declined due to the consumer report, you may obtain a free copy of your credit report from the bureau it was obtained from within 60 days of denial. You also have the right to dispute the accuracy of the report and/or add a consumer statement to the report.
- Any notice we give you or your co-applicant is considered notice to all co-applicants; and any notice from you or your co-applicant is considered notice from all co-applicants.
- Our reception of this application is consent only to this Application Agreement. It does not bind us to accept applicant or to sign a Lease/Rental Agreement.
- In compliance with the Fair Credit Act and RCW 59.18.257 (2), this is to inform you that a credit investigation involving the statements made on this application for tenancy will be initiated.
- You agree that to the best of your knowledge all statements are true.
- You authorize the owner/agent for initial tenancy and again upon any future lease modifications or renewals to verify the information provided on the application including, but not limited to, obtaining credit reports, character reports, civil and/or criminal records, verifying source of income and rental history.
- If application is approved Tenant must notify the landlord in writing, before signing of lease, if tenant elects to pay security deposit and any fees incrementally. Tenant agrees to pay full amount of deposit and fees in
installments of no less than 1/6th of the security deposit and any fees. The first installment is payable upon the day of lease signing. Thereafter, installments shall be due and payable on the first day of each succeeding calendar month.
- You have read the tenant screening criteria and understand what types of information will be accessed to conduct the tenant screening and what criteria may result in denial of the application, as required by RCW 59.18.257.
- If for any reason whatsoever Landlord does not deliver possession of the premises on the commencement of Lease, rent shall be prorated until such time as Landlord tenders possession. In no event, shall Landlord be liable to Applicant/Tenant for damages caused by failure to deliver possession of the premises. If possession of the premises is not tendered with 10 days of the lease start date, Applicant/Tenant may terminate this Agreement by giving written notice to Landlord and any monies paid by Applicant/Tenant to Landlord shall be refunded.